12 July 2011

Home made laundry detergent

Yesterday, I embarked on my bi-monthly making of laundry detergent. I started making this sometime in the past year. I had heard of people making their own and saving quite a bit of money. I was skeptical at first, but thought I didn't really have anything to lose. What I did know was that I was tired of paying  $20 for laundry detergent! I found a site that had instructions and an ingredient list.

This is really a very easy process. You'll need the following (all found at Ace Hardware):





You will need 1/3 a bar of the Fels Naptha soap and 1/2 cup each of Borax and the Super Washing Soda. Put 6 cups of water into a large saucepan. You will also need a large bucket (you'll end up with about 2 gallons of detergent). (I make mine in a single HUGE dutch oven/roaster that I found at a garage sale.) The instructions I give will be how I do it with my super-big pot.

Put six cups of water into sauce pan and turn on medium heat. Grate the soap into the water. Heat it until the soap melts.