25 June 2011

Banana Bread - Who doesn't love it?

I've had some bananas sitting around for about a week just begging to be used. Today, I was finally persuaded to get it made. I figured I might try my hand at taking pictures of the various steps and share the recipes. We are entering unchartered territory here, so take it easy. The pictures aren't the best. I haven't yet figured out how to take the great pictures of food (especially when trying to cook). Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the recipe.

Oh, before I forget, I acquired this recipe from Mrs. Pat Jameson. When I was away at boarding school for my sophomore through senior years in high school, she and her husband, Mr. Kenneth Jameson, ran the business office. I worked for them in the office all three years. To this day, I keep in touch with them. They were always gracious and loving to me and all the other students who worked for them. Thank you, Mrs. Jameson for sharing this recipe. It's the only banana bread recipe I've ever used!



Most of the ingredient are shown here. Notice the lovely, retro, yellow Tupperware. I inherited these from my mother. I vaguely remember her getting these when I was a little girl. The color doesn't bother me as they are put away in the lazy Susan. (More importantly, please, please, pretty please ignore my less than lovely mauve counter tops. It's the one thing [besides the vinyl floor] that I hate about the house. One day, I hope, it will be replaced. Thanks!)


Cream the margarine and the sugar together until smooth. The recipe calls for beaten eggs. Rather than dirty up another dish (yes, I'm lazy like that), I smash the sugar/margarine mixture over to one side, put the eggs on the other side and then beat them. (Hey, I think that's a nifty way to conserve energy - both that of the dishwasher and Yours Truly's.)

Next, add the sour cream, vanilla, bananas, salt, and soda. There are no pictures for these steps because they were either over exposed or out of focus (I told you so).


Add flour.


Add nuts. The recipe calls for walnuts, but I suppose you could add whatever you wanted.
Stir it all together, and it should look like this.



I use two large, well-loved (passed down from my mother) loaf pans. You bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. The recipe says an hour, but it never takes that long (for me).

I have also been known to add chocolate chips and coconut, which is personally my favorite way to make it. The kids like it too; the hubby, not so much.


And........the finished product! Nice and golden brown on the top, but moist and yummy inside. Let cool for a few minutes before turning out on a rack. This is scrumptious toasted with butter! (The bread can also be wrapped and frozen.)

I haven't quite figured out how to make the recipe printable, so here it is below. If you try it, I'd love to hear how it turned out!





Banana Bread

1/2 c. margarine
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
3 T. sour cream
3 large  ripe bananas, mashed (I used 4 very, very ripe ones)
1 t. vanilla
1 t. salt
1 t. soda
1 c. chopped nuts
2 c. flour

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour in loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until done.




No comments: