23 June 2011

"Hi! It's me." and "Why am I doing this?"

I've been reading a plethora of blogs recently, most of which are incredibly impressive! They have given me the bug  (thanks a lot) to try this out. I do not even perceive to believe that I will be even one iota as creative as these lovely ladies are at their blogs, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I honestly have no idea what I will write about -  or even why anybody would want to read what I have to write about. I have no hidden talents in the decorating department, I'm not an incredibly talented cook (although I have some really good recipes), and, although I like to take pictures, I am not a great photographer (nor do I have super-duper amazing equipment).

My life revolves around my family and friends. My children are the light of my life; they humor and amaze me constantly. My husband is my hero (I think I need to tell him that more often) and works incredibly hard for his family.

OK, so a bit about me (although you can read a snippet to the right, I will go into more detail here).

I grew up on a family farm in South Dakota. My great-great-grandparents homesteaded it when the government opened Indian Territory for the taking. My childhood memories of farm life seem like heaven to me. I love it. I miss it. I long to return, but at the same time, I'm not sure I ever could.

 My children overlooking the family farm on a visit. (One of my favorite pictures.)

I now live in the South, in a fairly large town (I think it's the fourth largest in our state). I love the convenience of having everything I need within a five minute drive to the store (on the farm it would be 45 minutes to the largest city).

I teach high school English in an inner city school. I have held a lot of jobs in my days, but this is definitely the most difficult, tiring job I've ever had; however, it has the potential to be the most rewarding job. (I say that, but of course motherhood is the most difficult and most rewarding job, but I'm talking jobs that bring home the proverbial bacon.) At the end of every day, I am drained, both physically and mentally.

On top of the physical and mental drainage (if you will), for the past two years I was also in graduate school full time - during the summer as well as during the school year. I just graduated this past May with my masters in Educational Technology with an emphasis in Library Media. What is this, you ask? Why, a school librarian of course! (Trust me. Before I began the program, I had no idea that school librarians needed a masters degree either. Don't feel bad.)

So what will I write about in this little blog/diary/journal/story of my life? Only time will tell. I see stories of my students (kept anonymous of course), children (not so anonymous), pictures, recipes, pet peeves, or whatever else fancies me any given day.

As my students would say, "Deuces!"

Lady Uff da ('cause the title makes me sound fancy-schmancy)

No comments: