28 June 2011

Bumper stickers, Christianity, and VBS

Today while driving I saw a bumper sticker on the car in front me. I thought about taking a picture of it, but figured two things: 1) My phone wouldn't take a decent enough picture to post here, and 2) It probably wasn't very safe to be taking pictures while driving. It did, however, make me stop and think. Well, not literally stop. After all, I was driving and it wouldn't have been safe to come to a stop in the middle of the road. I'm not that bad of a driver, although there are opinions out there that probably differ from that statement. But I digress. A better way to say it: It made me reflect on its meaning.

Image from Christian Art Gifts, Inc.

Does God really recycle? What does that statement really mean?  Yes, the Bible says man is made out of dust and that when he dies he returns to dust (Genesis 2:19).  But does he recycle? I think he does. In his own way.

God can change lives. He gives us His unconditional love. He has given us the Bible and its many promises to let us learn about Him and his love for us, to teach us right from wrong, to give us comfort and strength in our time of need. He can cure the sick. He can help people be free from their sinful desires and behavior. He recycles broken lives and makes them whole. That, I believe, is the ultimate in recycling.

As a Christian, I am trying to instill in my children a love for Christ. Every summer they attend Vacation Bible School to get with kids their age and learn more about Christ and His love for them. I remember going to VBS as a child and have fond memories of it; I want my children to have their own memories of VBS.

Here are some pictures of my little munchkins taken at VBS last week. Part of the lesson was about the Lord's Prayer. I am thrilled to say that they have asked to say it every night at bedtime (in addition to their regular prayer). That makes a mama proud!  And I know it makes God happy too.

 

No comments: